Get Better Gear!

Premier Sponsors

Other World Computing


Top 5 Free Apps

Release Date: August 05, 2009
Genre: Games
Release Date: May 22, 2009
Genre: Games
Release Date: August 29, 2009
Genre: Games
Release Date: March 27, 2009
Release Date: August 07, 2009

iTunes New Music Releases

Release Date: September 29, 2009
Genre: Rock
Release Date: September 20, 2009
Release Date: September 15, 2009
Release Date: August 25, 2009
Genre: Rock
Release Date: August 25, 2009

Top 5 Paid Apps

Release Date: April 22, 2009
StickWars $0.99
Release Date: March 31, 2009
Genre: Games
Bloons $0.99
Release Date: April 05, 2009
Genre: Games

Discover New Music

  • Goodbye Jumbo

    • 8 out of 10
    • World Party
    • Released in 1990, World Party's

  • Jagged Little Pill (Acoustic)

    • 6 out of 10
    • Alanis Morissette
    • Ten years after the original release, comes the traditional celebratory acoustic re-recording. The album has held up remarkably well. While it is not as meaningful to me as it was when I was sixteen,
  • How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

    • 6 out of 10
    • U2
    • U2's latest entry is a mostly underwhelming collection of songs that does very little to sound any different from its equally pedestrian predecessor, 2000's "All That You Can't Leave Behind." While

  • Velocifero

    • 6 out of 10
    • Ladytron
    • "Back to the future" isn't the right turn of phrase for Ladytron's newest album,

  • One Word Extinguisher

    • 8 out of 10
    • Prefuse 73
    • It's an album about a breakup, done with beats instead of mopey lyrics. But the beats are raw, and the emotions are there, even if there aren't many words on top of it. While possibly not Scott Herren

Reader Specials

Visit Deals On The Web for the best deals on all consumer electronics, iPods, and more!


Apple Announces In-App Subscription Model for iPhone App

Apple announced Tuesday a new subscription model for iPhone apps the company is calling In-App Subscriptions. The model allows developers to charge for additional content, including such things as new levels for a game, additional cities for a city guide, or renewing one's subscription to a magazine, all from within the app without having to return to the App Store.

The company made the announcement at its iPhone 3.0 preview event in Cupertino. According to Engadget, Apple executive Scott Forstall also stressed that the subscription model would only be available in paid applications, thus preventing users from being tricked into downloading "free" apps whose content has to be unlocked.

The subscription system will use iPhone's standard popup windows, and subscription/new content charges will go through your iTunes account. Apple will use the same revenue split as with any other iPhone app where the developer gets 70% of revenue, and Apple keeps the other 30%, out of which the company pays all fees associated with selling the app.

2 comments from the community.

You can post your own below.

webjprgm said:

So it’s probably a good thing that free apps remain free, but there’s still no way to implement shareware.  There ought to be a third category, then, which is clearly differentiated in the iTunes store as shareware, which can use the same in-app purchase model to unlock the full version. 

At present, game developers often have to release a ‘Lite’ version and a full, paid version to get around this issue.  Well, maybe that’s OK. What do you all think? I think I’d check out a lot more apps if there was a trial period or more apps had ‘Lite’ versions.  But if every app had a ‘lite’ version it would make the list of apps longer with all those duplicates.

Also, does anyone else find it scary to think of all the ways developers are going to find to charge us for things?  Did you see the TouchPets demo where they charged a buck (?) for a “shirts pack”?  I don’t like that idea.  It’s fine to do something like Half Life 2’s episodes, but I don’t want to be asked to pay a dollar every 5-10 levels.  I hope this in-app purchasing model is not abused.


D9 said:

Gosh, what a brilliant solution Apple has developed for itself. Not only has the App Store proven to be the “killer app” for the iPhone, but now they’ve provided themselves with a means to have a continuous cash stream not only for developers, which entices them, but for Apple itself…all without the need to increase prices or raise selling percentages.

I can see why Microsoft and others could care less that they’re copying the App Store for their phone solutions…it’s perfect for a means to promote and profit off your hardware sales!



Page 1 of 1 pages

Post Your Comments

  Remember Me  Forgot your password?

Not a member? Register now. You can post comments without logging in, but they'll show up as a "guest" post.

Commenting is not available in this section entry.