- Notability For iPad: Much More Than A Note Taking App from Ginger Labs, Inc, US$0.99
- Scosche’s RH656m Headphones With Microphone Are Wonderful from Scosche, US$129.99
- IPEVO’s Typi Folio Case & Keyboard for iPad is First-rate from IPEVO, US$79.99
- Scosche’s boomSTREAM BT Speaker: Features & Compromises from Scosche, US$99.95
- FX Photo Studio HD: iPad Painting of Effects Made Easy from MacPhun LLC, US1.99
- Barenaked Ladies
- These guys know how to put on a live show, and whomever recorded this knows how to capture one. Rock Spectacle is one of the warmest-sounding recordings I've ever heard, and totally fills a room at a
- Arctic Monkeys
Get on your dancing shoes
You sexy little swine
- The Dresden Dolls
The energetic duet of Amanda Palmer and Brian Viglione that make up the Dresden Dolls have created a wonderfully haunting sound in their self-titled album. They have been able to construct an imme
- David Bowie
- It must be a lonely place to be considered David Bowie's worst album by just about everyone, including the artist himself. As the last album before Bowie "rebooted" and formed the band Tin Machine, "N
- Pink Floyd
- Okay, someone had to say it, and though others on the iPO staff are more qualified to review this album, I decided the time was now. This is the quintessential concept album. Though others came before
Visit Deals On The Web for the best deals on all consumer electronics, iPods, and more!
Report: Apple Places Large Flash Memory Order
Friday, April 10th, 2009 at 2:21 PM - by Bryan Chaffin
Apple has placed orders for Flash memory large enough to constrain supplies and drive up prices for other manufacturers, according to a report from Taiwan-based newspaper DigiTimes. The paper reported Friday that Apple had placed orders for 100 million 8Gb NAND flash chips, with most of the orders going to longtime Apple supplier Samsung Electronics.
The report comes ahead of an expected update to Apple's iPhone product line this summer, adding fuel to the fire for those speculating that the device will soon include more memory, though the chips could certainly be used in the company's popular iPod line, as well.
What shouldn't be lost from this story, though, is that Apple's ability to negotiate such large orders allows the company to secure pricing that its competitors can't get. The DigiTimes report said, for instance, that supplies of these 8Gb chips will be tight until the end of May, a fact that will drive prices higher.
Securing memory for the company's iPod line is one of the reasons why Apple, not known to be a value-pricer, has nonetheless been able to consistently have its iPod products compare very favorably to the competition in terms of price.
For instance, at Amazon.com, you can buy a 120GB iPod classic for US$224.95, or a 120GB Zune for $229.95. Alternately, you can buy an 8GB iPod nano for $133.95 or an 8GB Zune for $128.97. In terms of features and price, Apple has been able to keep its iPod line very competitive with the competition.
(Note that we also found some 8GB MP3 players that, while they retail in the same pricing tier as the Zune and iPod nano, were selling on Amazon for under $100.)
- Reading, Writing, & Saving the World
- Free Retro Gaming for iOS - Activision’s Kaboom!
- Apple Adds Chomp Bits to iOS 6 App Store Discovery
- Notability For iPad: Much More Than A Note Taking App
- Scosche’s RH656m Headphones With Microphone Are Wonderful
- Tim Cook & Larry Page Reportedly Discuss Patents
- Analysis: Amazon Kindle Fire Sold Out, Kindle Fire 2 Pic Leaked