- Notability For iPad: Much More Than A Note Taking App from Ginger Labs, Inc, US$0.99
- Scosche’s RH656m Headphones With Microphone Are Wonderful from Scosche, US$129.99
- IPEVO’s Typi Folio Case & Keyboard for iPad is First-rate from IPEVO, US$79.99
- Scosche’s boomSTREAM BT Speaker: Features & Compromises from Scosche, US$99.95
- FX Photo Studio HD: iPad Painting of Effects Made Easy from MacPhun LLC, US1.99
Pressure Chief, Cake's latest album, didn't immediately grab me. In fact, it took perhaps half a dozen listens before I started truly enjoying it. Any
- Billy Miles
- Take the voice of a young Billie Holiday and stuff it into a svelte, petite body with the face of an angel, and you have some idea of what it's like to experience the music of Billy Miles in her self-
Go Away White is an album I've been waiting more than 20 years to hear, and the good news is that it was worth the wait. The latest -- and last, no...for real this time -- album from
- The Who
Quadrophenia is everything that Tommy wanted to be, a rock opera that told a story, but one where every song could still stand alone. It was also Pete Townshend's farewell tribute to the Mod
- Weather Report
- This is Weather Reports quintessential line-up captured live. Jaco Pastorious and Peter Erskine join Wayne Shorter and, of course, Joe Zawinul to create this masterpiece.
Visit Deals On The Web for the best deals on all consumer electronics, iPods, and more!
Report: Apple Places Large Flash Memory Order
Friday, April 10th, 2009 at 2:21 PM - by Bryan Chaffin
Apple has placed orders for Flash memory large enough to constrain supplies and drive up prices for other manufacturers, according to a report from Taiwan-based newspaper DigiTimes. The paper reported Friday that Apple had placed orders for 100 million 8Gb NAND flash chips, with most of the orders going to longtime Apple supplier Samsung Electronics.
The report comes ahead of an expected update to Apple's iPhone product line this summer, adding fuel to the fire for those speculating that the device will soon include more memory, though the chips could certainly be used in the company's popular iPod line, as well.
What shouldn't be lost from this story, though, is that Apple's ability to negotiate such large orders allows the company to secure pricing that its competitors can't get. The DigiTimes report said, for instance, that supplies of these 8Gb chips will be tight until the end of May, a fact that will drive prices higher.
Securing memory for the company's iPod line is one of the reasons why Apple, not known to be a value-pricer, has nonetheless been able to consistently have its iPod products compare very favorably to the competition in terms of price.
For instance, at Amazon.com, you can buy a 120GB iPod classic for US$224.95, or a 120GB Zune for $229.95. Alternately, you can buy an 8GB iPod nano for $133.95 or an 8GB Zune for $128.97. In terms of features and price, Apple has been able to keep its iPod line very competitive with the competition.
(Note that we also found some 8GB MP3 players that, while they retail in the same pricing tier as the Zune and iPod nano, were selling on Amazon for under $100.)
- Reading, Writing, & Saving the World
- Free Retro Gaming for iOS - Activision’s Kaboom!
- Apple Adds Chomp Bits to iOS 6 App Store Discovery
- Notability For iPad: Much More Than A Note Taking App
- Scosche’s RH656m Headphones With Microphone Are Wonderful
- Tim Cook & Larry Page Reportedly Discuss Patents
- Analysis: Amazon Kindle Fire Sold Out, Kindle Fire 2 Pic Leaked