- Notability For iPad: Much More Than A Note Taking App from Ginger Labs, Inc, US$0.99
- Scosche’s RH656m Headphones With Microphone Are Wonderful from Scosche, US$129.99
- IPEVO’s Typi Folio Case & Keyboard for iPad is First-rate from IPEVO, US$79.99
- Scosche’s boomSTREAM BT Speaker: Features & Compromises from Scosche, US$99.95
- FX Photo Studio HD: iPad Painting of Effects Made Easy from MacPhun LLC, US1.99
- The second and final album from this power-pop group makes me wish Jellyfish had been able to make just one more record together. The album is best enjoyed as a whole piece, flowing from one track to
- Secret Machines
The Secret Machines' inaugural album, Now Here is Nowhere is both old and new in its sonic assault. The trio's surprisingly big sound evokes Pink Floyd (without ever sounding like any Pink
- Jeff Wayne
- With the new movie adaptation of H.G Wells' classic Sci Fi invasion tale, War of the Worlds, currently on theater screens everywhere, there's new interest in Jeff Wayne's rock opera version, and it is
- World Party
- Modern Lovers
This timeless masterpiece is little known, but it has inspired almost as many bands as The Modern Lovers' own inspiration -- and only slightly better known -- The Velvet Underground & Nico.
Visit Deals On The Web for the best deals on all consumer electronics, iPods, and more!
Luna (iPod Stereo Speakers/Alarm Clock/Radio)
Tuesday, April 17th, 2007 at 1:00 AM - by Bob LeVitus
Luna is an iPod AM/FM stereo speaker system with an iPod alarm clock built in. Or perhaps it's an AM/FM iPod alarm clock with a stereo speaker system built in. Either way, it performs most of those functions well and is reasonably priced.
First and foremost, Luna's sound quality is excellent for its size and price. If that's your main criteria for selecting an iPod speaker system/alarm clock, you'll be quite pleased with Luna.
Most alarm clocks offer a confusing array of buttons, bars, and knobs. Luna is different, with excellent and easy-to-use menus and controls. There are four big multi-function buttons/knobs on the top of the unit which are its only controls. And the LCD display, which offers variable brightness, is big, bright, and easy to read even across a brightly lit room. And, unlike many alarm clocks, Luna's display can be turned off completely.
Luna has two independent alarms that can each be customized for source (iPod, radio, or buzzer), volume, dimmer, and snooze time. Plus, you have the option of gradually increasing or decreasing volume for both alarms and the sleep timer, too.
Another nice touch is a wireless remote that controls all audio and clock functions including bass and treble.
That's the good news now here's the bad: Luna's radio reception is mediocre at best. No matter where in the house I set it, FM stations that come in loud and clear on other systems in my house had static and hiss on the Luna. Furthermore, AM radio was even worse. That's easily Luna's worst feature. A close second is the remote control, which has every button you might ever need, but often doesn't recognize them being pressed. Some buttons were worse than others but I often had to press a button two or three times before it worked. Furthermore, the Source, Shuffle, and Reset buttons are so tiny they are extremely difficult to press, especially if you have fat fingers (like me).
Luna is compatible with all iPods with a dock connector and while the SRP is $149, you should be able to find one for around $120-$130.
The Bottom Line
Xtreme Mac's Luna iPod speaker system and alarm clock is a great sounding unit with intuitive controls and a crisp, bright display. Unfortunately, radio reception is marginal and the remote control, while full featured, is balky and has several buttons so tiny they're barely usable. Still, if you can do without the radio and remote, it's one heck of a great sounding iPod alarm clock.
Just The Facts
Pros:Excellent sound, bright display, big easy-to-use control knobs and buttons.
Cons:Lousy radio reception, balky remote control with several buttons too small to be usable.
- Reading, Writing, & Saving the World
- Free Retro Gaming for iOS - Activision’s Kaboom!
- Apple Adds Chomp Bits to iOS 6 App Store Discovery
- Notability For iPad: Much More Than A Note Taking App
- Scosche’s RH656m Headphones With Microphone Are Wonderful
- Tim Cook & Larry Page Reportedly Discuss Patents
- Analysis: Amazon Kindle Fire Sold Out, Kindle Fire 2 Pic Leaked