You're viewing an article in iPO's historic archive vault. Here, we've preserved the comments and how the site looked along with the article. Use this link to view the article on our current site: Word of the Year: podcast
Word of the Year: podcast
Tuesday, December 6th, 2005 at 11:25 AM - by Staff
The New Oxford American Dictionary revealed "podcast" as its word of the year on Monday. Podcast earned its position as 2005's number-one word thanks to the explosive growth and interest in podcasting. The dictionary's choice underscores the popularity of Apple's iPod, both as a digital music player, and as a part of our social culture.
The dictionary defines podcast as "a digital recording of a radio broadcast or similar program, made available on the Internet for downloading to a personal audio player," and will add the word to the dictionary in 2006.
A few of the runner-up words included:
DP internally displaced person; someone forced to relocate within a
country because of a natural disaster or civil unrest
IED improvised explosive device, such as a car bomb
lifehack a more efficient or effective way of completing an everyday task: "I found a great lifehack for getting a cheap hotel room."
rootkit software installed on a computer by someone other than the owner, intended to conceal other programs or processes, files or system data.
- Editorial - It's Time for the Promised, Unlocked iPhone 3Gs
- Wal-Mart Employees Confirm iPhone Rumors
- The RIAA vs. 19 Year Old Cancer Patient
- Mac Gaming News - Gameloft Brings Hero of Sparta to the iPhone
- Free on iTunes - Return to the Moon, JPL, Stranger Things And More
- Apple Claims 300 Million App Store Downloads, 10,000 Apps Available