You're viewing an article in iPO's historic archive vault. Here, we've preserved the comments and how the site looked along with the article. Use this link to view the article on our current site: iPod Accessories Market Reaches $300 Million Annually
iPod Accessories Market Reaches $300 Million Annually
Monday, December 12th, 2005 at 4:50 PM - by Staff
Writing for the Boston Globe, John P. Mello reports that the market for iPod accessories is now worth US$300 million per year. He cited Gavin Downey, Belkin Corp.'s director of product management, as the source for that figure -- Mr. Downey added that the "attach rate" for accessories was originally one for every 15 to 20 iPods sold, but now "it's almost a one-to-one ratio."
Mr. Mello also quotes Gartner Group research director Michael McGuire as saying: "It's emerging as a content-foraging device." The reporter noted that accessories exist to connect the iPod with home, car and portable stereos, digital cameras and other devices, in addition to the accessories that turn it into a voice recorder or other tool.
Mr. Mello also runs down what he thinks are the best iPod accessories available in his article.
- Editorial - It's Time for the Promised, Unlocked iPhone 3Gs
- Wal-Mart Employees Confirm iPhone Rumors
- The RIAA vs. 19 Year Old Cancer Patient
- Mac Gaming News - Gameloft Brings Hero of Sparta to the iPhone
- Free on iTunes - Return to the Moon, JPL, Stranger Things And More
- Apple Claims 300 Million App Store Downloads, 10,000 Apps Available