You're viewing an article in iPO's historic archive vault. Here, we've preserved the comments and how the site looked along with the article. Use this link to view the article on our current site: Amazon May Offer Streaming Feature Films
Amazon May Offer Streaming Feature Films
Friday, January 27th, 2006 at 12:45 PM - by Staff
Amazon.com is apparently mulling a plan in which it would offer online streaming of feature films from at least two major studios, Frank Barnako reported for MarketWatch on Friday. Mr. Barnako cited a Variety article (subscription required) that said the success of the video iPod was the company's impetus for developing the idea.
Amazon doesn't want to cannibalize the sale of DVDs, according to the Variety report, but it's thinking about crediting the purchase of a streaming movie toward the price of a DVD. Or it could allow a consumer who buys a DVD to view content from it while waiting for delivery.
Mr. Barnako said that a Hollywood executive told the trade publication: "Everything is being leveraged to sell more DVDs. When you go to a product page it will say all the variations about how you'd purchase that video - stream, buy or maybe a combination (of options)."
- Editorial - It's Time for the Promised, Unlocked iPhone 3Gs
- Wal-Mart Employees Confirm iPhone Rumors
- The RIAA vs. 19 Year Old Cancer Patient
- Mac Gaming News - Gameloft Brings Hero of Sparta to the iPhone
- Free on iTunes - Return to the Moon, JPL, Stranger Things And More
- Apple Claims 300 Million App Store Downloads, 10,000 Apps Available