You're viewing an article in iPO's historic archive vault. Here, we've preserved the comments and how the site looked along with the article. Use this link to view the article on our current site: WiFi-, Bluetooth-Enabled iPods on the Horizon?
WiFi-, Bluetooth-Enabled iPods on the Horizon?
Wednesday, February 8th, 2006 at 4:25 PM - by Staff
PortalPlayer, which makes the audio processor in the iPod, will soon add WiFi and Bluetooth capability, thanks to a collaboration with UK firm Cambridge Silicon Radio. Tony Smith reported the news for Reg Hardware, noting that the new audio chip family, dubbed PP5-22, will be demonstrated at the 3GSM trade show next week in Barcelona.
Mr. Smith wrote: "The company's pitch is that the integration will allow PortalPlayer-based gadgets to use Bluetooth stereo headsets and reach out to computers' music archives via the wireless networking technology, and to connect directly to music download services through Wi-Fi hotspots."
He also noted that Apple is rumored to be readying a music-related press event the week after the 3GSM. Supposedly the invitation's image shows an AirPort Express power light, which some think means the announcement will concern some form of wireless music. However, Mr. Smith pointed out that PortalPlayer's new chipset won't be available until the second half of 2006.
- Editorial - It's Time for the Promised, Unlocked iPhone 3Gs
- Wal-Mart Employees Confirm iPhone Rumors
- The RIAA vs. 19 Year Old Cancer Patient
- Mac Gaming News - Gameloft Brings Hero of Sparta to the iPhone
- Free on iTunes - Return to the Moon, JPL, Stranger Things And More
- Apple Claims 300 Million App Store Downloads, 10,000 Apps Available