You're viewing an article in iPO's historic archive vault. Here, we've preserved the comments and how the site looked along with the article. Use this link to view the article on our current site: Apple Announces Winner of Billion Song Countdown Contest
Apple Announces Winner of Billion Song Countdown Contest
Thursday, February 23rd, 2006 at 1:20 PM - by
Apple on Thursday announced that the billionth song purchased from the iTunes Music Store was "Speed of Sound," which was downloaded as part of Coldplay's X&Y album. The winner was Alex Ostrovsky of West Bloomfield, Mich., who scored a 20-inch iMac, 10 60GB iPods and a US$10,000 iTMS gift card. Apple will also set up a scholarship to Juilliard School of Music in his name.
Apple CEO Steve Jobs said in a statement: "Over one billion songs have now been legally purchased and downloaded around the globe, representing a major force against music piracy and the future of music distribution as we move from CDs to the Internet."
As iPod Observer reported earlier, the iTMS counter flipped from 999,995,000 songs to one billion around 12:38 AM EST on Thursday.
- Editorial - It's Time for the Promised, Unlocked iPhone 3Gs
- Wal-Mart Employees Confirm iPhone Rumors
- The RIAA vs. 19 Year Old Cancer Patient
- Mac Gaming News - Gameloft Brings Hero of Sparta to the iPhone
- Free on iTunes - Return to the Moon, JPL, Stranger Things And More
- Apple Claims 300 Million App Store Downloads, 10,000 Apps Available