You're viewing an article in iPO's historic archive vault. Here, we've preserved the comments and how the site looked along with the article. Use this link to view the article on our current site: Samsung Z5 Gets Help from iPod Designer
Samsung Z5 Gets Help from iPod Designer
Monday, February 27th, 2006 at 9:30 AM - by Staff
Samsung's new Z5 portable digital music player interface was developed by Paul Mercer, the same man that was responsible for the original iPod's software design. Mr. Mercer's company, Inventor Inc., was contracted by Samsung in an effort to bring some of the iPod's innovation to the Z5, according the The New York Times.
Mr. Mercer previously worked for Apple before starting his own software development company called Pixo. Apple tapped Pixo for the software interface for the iPod before Mr. Mercer sold his company to Sun Microsystems in 2003. He started up Inventor to carry on with his application design work.
He commented "My whole vision has been to take Macintosh-class technology and to move it into new places."
The Z5 MP3 player is scheduled to arrive in stores on March 5.
- Editorial - It's Time for the Promised, Unlocked iPhone 3Gs
- Wal-Mart Employees Confirm iPhone Rumors
- The RIAA vs. 19 Year Old Cancer Patient
- Mac Gaming News - Gameloft Brings Hero of Sparta to the iPhone
- Free on iTunes - Return to the Moon, JPL, Stranger Things And More
- Apple Claims 300 Million App Store Downloads, 10,000 Apps Available