You're viewing an article in iPO's historic archive vault. Here, we've preserved the comments and how the site looked along with the article. Use this link to view the article on our current site: iPhone to Sport 8 Hour Battery, Glass Surface
iPhone to Sport 8 Hour Battery, Glass Surface
Monday, June 18th, 2007 at 9:35 AM - by
Apple's iPhone doesn't ship for another 11 days, but it has already received its first upgrades: Improved battery life and a more durable multi-touch surface. The iPhone will support up to eight hours of talk time instead of the five hours originally announced at Macworld Expo 2007 last January.
In addition to eight hours talk time, Apple claims the iPhone battery can also handle up to six hours of Internet use, seven hours of video playback, or 24 hours of audio playback. Standby time comes in at 250 hours.
Along with longer battery life, the iPhone top surface will be made from optical-quality glass instead of plastic - the material Apple originally intended to use. The glass surface should offer a higher scratch resistance as well as improved optical clarity.
The combination iPod and smartphone will be available at 6 p.m. local time on Friday, June 29, at Apple and AT&T retail stores. The iPhone will be priced at US$499 for the 4GB model, or $599 for the 8GB model.
- Editorial - It's Time for the Promised, Unlocked iPhone 3Gs
- Wal-Mart Employees Confirm iPhone Rumors
- The RIAA vs. 19 Year Old Cancer Patient
- Mac Gaming News - Gameloft Brings Hero of Sparta to the iPhone
- Free on iTunes - Return to the Moon, JPL, Stranger Things And More
- Apple Claims 300 Million App Store Downloads, 10,000 Apps Available