You're viewing an article in iPO's historic archive vault. Here, we've preserved the comments and how the site looked along with the article. Use this link to view the article on our current site: TurboSIM Unlocks iPhone
TurboSIM Unlocks iPhone
Wednesday, August 15th, 2007 at 9:10 AM - by
While Apple and AT&T would prefer that iPhone users stick with AT&T cell service, that's not stopping people from working to unlock the combination iPod and smart phone for use with other carriers. The latest hack, and possibly the easiest to implement, comes from Bladox and its TurboSIM card, according to iPhone World.
The hack isn't as simple as plugging the TurboSIM card into an iPhone. The phone needs to already be activated with AT&T, and also requires a Mac or Windows-based utility to "jailbreak" the device so other applications can be added.
Certainly not a task for anyone with a weak heart, and features like visual voicemail don't work with other carriers, but it does free your iPhone from AT&T. Unfortunately, the TurboSIM card is hard to come by right now -- it seems everybody wants one.
- Editorial - It's Time for the Promised, Unlocked iPhone 3Gs
- Wal-Mart Employees Confirm iPhone Rumors
- The RIAA vs. 19 Year Old Cancer Patient
- Mac Gaming News - Gameloft Brings Hero of Sparta to the iPhone
- Free on iTunes - Return to the Moon, JPL, Stranger Things And More
- Apple Claims 300 Million App Store Downloads, 10,000 Apps Available