You're viewing an article in iPO's historic archive vault. Here, we've preserved the comments and how the site looked along with the article. Use this link to view the article on our current site: Time Warner Builds iTunes Competitor
Time Warner Builds iTunes Competitor
Thursday, October 4th, 2007 at 3:05 PM - by
Time Warner Cable is launching a music service intended to compete with iTunes. The music subscription service will offer more than 3 million songs from EMI Group, Sony BMG Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group as well as independent labels, according to Time Warner on Thursday.
The Road Runner Music Service is a subscription service and music store. The Time Warner Road Runner Music Portable is a service that allows customers to play the content on portable music players.
"These enhanced music products offer superb functionality and a solid value for our customers," said Steve Cook, group vice president of High Speed Online and Road Runner for Time Warner Cable. "We are pleased to offer our customers music products that are convenient and easy to use both in the home and on the go."
Here are the features of the service:
- RRMS is a subscription service only.
- Files are in Windows Media format, protected.
- RRMS supports PCs only
- MusicNet is writing the media player for Time Warner
- Synacor will handle billing and authentication
For US$9.95/month customers will have access to subscription songs, ad-free radio, and music videos. For an additional US$5/month the Road Runner Music Portable service will allow customers to play ther content on up to three portable media players.
Specific media players were not mentioned in the release.
- Editorial - It's Time for the Promised, Unlocked iPhone 3Gs
- Wal-Mart Employees Confirm iPhone Rumors
- The RIAA vs. 19 Year Old Cancer Patient
- Mac Gaming News - Gameloft Brings Hero of Sparta to the iPhone
- Free on iTunes - Return to the Moon, JPL, Stranger Things And More
- Apple Claims 300 Million App Store Downloads, 10,000 Apps Available