You're viewing an article in iPO's historic archive vault. Here, we've preserved the comments and how the site looked along with the article. Use this link to view the article on our current site: AOL Releases AIM Client (Whither iChat?)
App Store Spotlight - AOL Releases AIM Client (Whither iChat?)
Thursday, July 10th, 2008 at 2:30 PM - by
AOL released an AIM client for iPhone through the App Store Thursday, bringing true IM to the iPhone (at last), but curiously, Apple has not yet released an iChat-branded client.
According to AOL's description, the AIM client for iPhone 2.0 allows you to send and receive messages over WiFi, EDGE, or 3G networks (for iPhone 3G), and allows you to connect to anyone on AOL, AIM, ICQ, .Mac/iChat, or MobileMe networks.
Users will be able to manage their Buddy Lists, including choosing favorites for quick access on iPhone. Changes to the Buddy List are synced with iChat. You can also use your iPhone's camera to supply buddy icons.
We should also add that AOL made a point of noting that this will work with iPod touch, though only on WiFi networks.
The AIM client is free through the App Store.
Screenshot from AOL's AM client for iPhone
- Editorial - It's Time for the Promised, Unlocked iPhone 3Gs
- Wal-Mart Employees Confirm iPhone Rumors
- The RIAA vs. 19 Year Old Cancer Patient
- Mac Gaming News - Gameloft Brings Hero of Sparta to the iPhone
- Free on iTunes - Return to the Moon, JPL, Stranger Things And More
- Apple Claims 300 Million App Store Downloads, 10,000 Apps Available